(example: the plethora of alt. cancer treatments, the evidence of the benefits of performance enhancing exercise against wide spectrum disease)
While there are exceptions to the rule, some of whom I work with, it is unfortunate that most still follow the old practices and protocols that are taught in school despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and the success that other practitioners enjoy.
I would also pay special mention to the word WESTERN as the system and bureaucratic fundamental governing the society in the USA (legal, commercial) that promotes this kind of medicine is incredibly flawed, full of suits and completely derisive despite headways made for support of alternatives. Note the amount of progress of WMD's in china, mexico and some other countries. WMD's in china have made progress years beyond their USA counterparts (compare FUDA Hospital). The same can be said for Korea as well.
In the final analysis. WMD may be considered a weapon of mass destruction in the hands of a non evolving medical professional as he will:
- decline alternative treatments
- insist that old people rest, sick people rest and that exercise is only for the young and strong
- deride natural treatments and its efficacy
- insist that people spend money for their medical treatments
- insist that coconuts will give you high cholesterol
- tell you that broccoli killing cancer is rubbish
- insist that he can't be wrong because there are so many other WMD's who agree with him
- and despite all the glaring evidence to the CONTRARY will insist that everything he learned in school is CORRECT. (hmmm sounds like religion)
- and even if he somewhat agrees with the alternative, hasn't even bothered to research about it, apply it, or direct the patients to such alternatives.
Be very very very very afraid!
What does this mean to the patient? It means that you will not be getting the best recommendation, they wont be able to treat you themselves (see energy medicine practitioners), they will need non natural forms of intervention that will make somebody else rich and make you sick.
The saddest part of the whole thing is it enhances a parallelism to a saying i've been using: "The blindest people in the world when it comes to losing weight are the nutritionists."