(Errata: Exercise is the best curative of all time. Food 2nd. Paradigms is the prevailing environment which will determine sickness or health.)
Medically speaking exercise can cure most, if not all systemic disease and other problems as well.
Properly done exercise can not only rejuvenate the physical system by increasing blood flow, muscle use, respiratory stresses, it can also improve the energy flow in one's system. Similar to the same technique accupuncturists do when using metal implements (needles) to manually accelerate one's meridian flow.
I coun't a minimum of 95% of patients in the PGH clinic who suffer from what I call "lifestyle diseases", almost all are preventable by the right exercise.
I highly recommend the TABATA system using the SQUAT PRESS because of the ff:
1. Can be done on a 1meter by 1meter square (where you're standing)
2. takes only 4 minutes to do (or more if you like)
3. Will increase your metabolism like no fat burner will (except steroids)
4. will not expose you to the dangers of crooks, dogs, sunlight et al. (can be done indoors)
5. will physcially challenge THE STAMINA of even the most hardened triathlete when PROPERLY DONE.
6. It is a full body workout
7. It will make all your meridians flow like an accupuncture treatment.
8. It is NOT DAMAGING TO THE KNEES unlike prolonged jogging, running et al. which damage the cartilage over the long term.
9. Is an alternative to Chi Qong and Yoga as most new practitioners would NOT know how to manually self manipulate their energy flow anyway (see #7)
As long as it is a systemic problem and not requiring some level of physical rehabilitation (broken leg et al.), this is the most basic of exercise that I insist all patients (and people) do.
1. Meridian flow rejuvenates, cleanses and energizes all systems.
2. All muscles work simultaneously. Ergo, its not a waste of time.
3. It can be done anywhere, anytime.
4. Doesn't need money, special equipment, trainer etc.
5. You will lose weight and have a more attractive figure. (and everything that comes with it new clothes, better skin, increased libido et al)
6. You will have the metabolic state and hormonal levels of a 20 year old.
7. You will save money from health expenses.
8. You will thank me for telling you all this.
- Do the Squat dumbbell PRESS(see embedded video as an example) AS FAST AS YOU CAN for 20 seconds. (use very very light dumbbells to start with)
- Take 10 second rest. Ergo 1 cycle (20-10) is 30 seconds. 2 cycles is 1 minute already.
- Do this for a TOTAL OF 8 CYCLES or 4 MINUTES.
- However on your LAST CYCLE, do it for 30 SECONDS STRAIGHT. Don't rest anymore. Finish the last 20 second repetition for 30 seconds. (ergo 20-10-20-10-20-10-20-10-20-10-20-10-20-10-30seconds.)
- Count the number of reps on your last set (30 sec)
- Remember this will not work if you don't do it AS FAST AS YOU CAN, WITH THE PROPER FORM in every single set..
- The next time you do TABATA, try to do better (more reps on the last rep) than the last time you did it. (ex. 1st attempt 8 reps on last set, 2nd attempt 12 reps on last set that's improvement)
- When it becomes too easy for you. Try using escalating dumbbell weights to give you a challenge and a real workout.
- If you're trying to lose weight, take lots of water after. If you're trying to gain weight, take lots of MILK after. (within 30 minutes of ending) (ergo dieters eat/drink carbs after 2 hours of workout)
- This is a safe yet taxing exercise.
- Many professional athletes actually vomit after 2 minutes of tabata so be warned and be aware of your physical state.
- If you're doing this for the first few times and you've had no exercise, have a friend with you or do it at 80% of your effort just for starters.
- If you feel dizzy or anything weird stop and do it the next day instead.
- After the 2-3 sets, you will feel your arms and body turning to lead. That's ok. Keep going.
- Tabata is best with a big clock and big SECOND HAND to guide your timing.
- The body adapts and any exercise will NOT work if you don't MAKE IT HARDER, ergo you have to increase the weight or make it faster. BEAT YOUR PREVIOUS REPETITIONS.
- Always remember in a SQUAT. It is not the knees moving out, it is your ass moving back, pointing to the rear. When you SQUAT down and your knees go further than your toes that means you are doing it wrong. IT IS THE ASS THAT POINTS TO THE REAR. (see diagram)
- This exercise should be LAW. It should BE A CRIME for almost all people to NOT DO TABATA. If everyone did TABATA, it would save a lot of money in the PUBLIC HEALTH SYSTEM and improve individual PRODUCTIVITY.
- This single exercise will cure most health problems.
- Begin with your back straight and feet shoulder-width apart. Hold the dumbbells in front of you comfortably at about the height of your shoulders with a slight bicep and chest flex to keep them in place. Concentrate your weight on the back of your heels but don't lift up your toes during the movement. START WITH VERY LIGHT DUMBBELLS.
- Squat down to a 90 degree angle while keeping your back erect. Keep your abdominal muscles tight and look straight ahead and slightly up with your eyes. Practice the movement without any weight at first if you're having trouble getting a full squat.
- Rise out of the squat with a slight explosion while maintaining form and control. Breathe out on the exertion. Simultaneously press or push the dumbbells up and over your head. End the movement by bringing the dumbbells back into the shoulder position.
For our fellow patients I highly recommend sticking to the Squat Press to make it simple and have a real full body work out.
The exercise in the youtube video is the Dumbbell Squat Press.
Please, please, please.. observe the knees. It doesn't protrude out.
RATIONALE: (just to repeat what I mentioned above)
- Short bursts of High Intensity Training, activates the body's hormonal and other metabolic processes unlike long duration aerobic exercise. Intensity and NOT the amount of exercise is more important.
- Large muscle groups (legs and only legs) burn more calories and induce production of growth hormone and other metabolic functions than any other exercise.
- Squat Press doesn't damage the knees or back (when properly done).
- Long duration exercise has proven detrimental to muscle development and doesn't not induce LONG TERM fat burning as it does with metabolic increases. Ergo, you've been wasting your time with what some ignorant gym trainers tell you. (if it was for fat burning)
- Squat Press uses practically all of the body's muscle.
This article is your first step to wellness and preventive medicine. I hope you print this out.