A week has passed and here it is.
Just like all things, sugar and salt, air and water. Too much of either and lack of the other, can have negative consequences. As there is day and night, there should be inactivity (sleep, powernaps) and activity.
The problem with people who feel sick is they try to rest/sleep to:
- Bypass the pain and suffering of their current disease through rest and sleep and will come out of their hibernation when its "gone"/"better".
- Recover from the illness because they are told that they will become better if they rest and activity may make it worse.
But like all things, rest is an abused medical tool. (same way physicians prescribe medicines. remember michael jackson and brittany murphy) (see stretching post below) and actually contributes to further complications. Proper rest should encompass the regular sleeping period (preferably 8-9 hours sleep 11pm down) and a mid afternoon power nap for not more than 1 hour).
The only people with an excuse to be bedridden(rest) are the patients who have suffered physical injuries (accidents, surgery, et al) that require immobility to prevent them from damaging the affected areas further and giving it time to heal. Those who are comatose is another exception. (but you can still do electro stimulation and accupuncture)
Many medical complications can be attributed to this inactivity but most medical practitioners haven't realized the correlation yet.
- Skeletal, Muscle and joint atrophy. (layman terms, get weaker and softer).
- Poorer blood circulation. Ergo, less nutrients and oxygen going into your cells and less toxins and waste shuttled out of your cells.
- Poorer meridian/etheric circulation. (layman terms, your true system begins to shut down or operate less efficiently. While your resting (too much) your immune system goes down, other systemic problems set in (diabetes et al.).
- It takes you longer to heal.
- More diseases will come out if you're bedridden which in turn will make things worse for you, physically, temporally (time) and financially.
- It will cost you more money if you are in a paid establishment.
- Decrease mental conditioning as well.
- Decrease livingness. You should be out enjoying yourself.
- Sheila is experiencing dysmenorrhea (from a 1-10 scale, level 8 pain).
- She slept it off and recovered 24-36 hours later.(level 3 pain, bearable).
- Take a big glass of cold Cafe Mocha. (decrease pain 1-2 levels + antioxidants & metabolic enhancers)
- Do tabata (see blog post below) and high intensity sports (tennis, basketball,aero etc) . (circulate etheric system esp. the ones passing thru the abdominal and groin area to remove the "negative" energy field causing the dysmenorrheic effect. decrease pain level by factor of 50-70%, burn calories, improve overall health, enjoy your day with friends and activities).
- Take a nice relaxing lukewarm shower
- As a last and unnecessary resort, do self acu or energy medicine.
- Note that sexual activity also aids in the circulation of this system and also helps in recovery.
- Ponstan like coffee is another alternative but normally I make it a point NOT to recommend medicine unless you really have to. Ponstan is one of the more effective pain killers in the market.
Example 2: Actual patient. A classic case of a downward spiral to illness.
- Patient X was previously active and is now appx. 65 yr old.
- X had a sprain and decided to rest it off.
- X was spoiled and stayed in bed most of the time watching TV.
- When X finally tried to get out of bed more, he wasn't as physically able and mobile because of the prolonged rest period and because of this, had a harder time doing normal things like walking around and fulfilling his daily routine.
- Because of difficulty, X was assisted more by family members.
- X became weaker and stayed in bed longer than he previously did.
- Because of weakened physical condition, X bumped and injured himself further. Muscle atrophy caused poor mobility, movement and coordination thus causing him to bump an everyday object. Skeletal atrophy caused him to incur bone fracture.
- Because of further injury, he became even more bedridden.
- Now because of poor etheric (energy) circulation due to inactivity his healing process was severely lessened, his blood sugar started going up, he became sickly as his immune system was also failing amidst a plethora of other problems, swelling of the legs (manas) et al.
The patient underwent energy medicine treatment just to jumpstart his system again and improve his immune system but it will not be effective if he doesn't change his lifestyle and combat his physical weakness because his inactivity will just make his illnesses come back and waste our time and treatment. He was recommended to:
- Start walking and doing more regular physical activities.
- His family members were instructed to do tabata so that when the time comes, so can X.
- Eat turmeric (luyang dilaw), bitter gourd (ampalaya), moringa (malunggay) in large quantities and a few other veggies.
- Do other calisthenics.
- Get out of bed.
- Get out of the house.
- Get a life.
By staying in bed. He makes
- people waste time by having to care for him.
- people spend more money on him.
- becomes a more useless member of society.
- becomes less empowered.
- his quality of life a living hell.