Results of clinical study on acupuncture for burns:
...Treatment was concluded after two independent observers agreed that in two or three sessions, no further progress in healing could be observed, or when full recovery was evident. Upon the conclusion of treatment, each patient and one of the authors independently assessed the outcome of the procedure as follows:
Poor outcome: less than 50% recovery;
Fair outcome: between 60-90% recovery;
Excellent outcome: greater than 90% recovery.
According to the authors, 41 patients (93%) experienced an "excellent" outcome; the remaining three patients (7%) experienced a "fair" outcome. No outcomes were scored as "poor."
The more severe the lesion, the greater the number of treatments needed to obtain complete healing. Grade I patients needed an average of 8.4 treatments; grade II patients averaged 10.6 treatments; and grade III patients required an average of 41.38 treatments for healing.