This article was posted on yahoo today. It is a decent article for the layman however it was obviously made by "exercise laymen".
The following pointers are noted in the article and are subject to my rebuttal:
- Aerobic power is maintained by exercise. As you age it will help you maintain half of what you will lose. Rebuttal: Properly trained, an old man could not only maintain half of his aerobic power, but thru proper escalation, can have greater aerobic power than his teens.
- It reduces type 2 diabetes. Rebuttal: Thru proper escalation, not only will it reduce, it will reverse not only diabetes but a whole slew of systemic diseases. Reverse. Completely.
- Helps enhance immune system. Rebuttal: Of course, they don't know why or are unsure of the mechanism. Read previous threads and extrapolate.
- Weightlifting improves bone strength. Rebuttal: ONLY weightlifting improves bone strength by proper escalation. Nothing else.
- You don't need to go to the gym to exercise. Rebuttal: Yes, you don't BUT it will be hard to properly escalate and periodize your program without one.